Downtown Atlanta, Georgia looked much different in the 1930’s. These photographs were taken in 1939 by Marion Post Wolcott when she toured Georgia and took many photographs documenting life at the time.
The Henry Grady Hotel no longer exists. The Henry Grady Hotel was a 13-story hotel located at the corner of Peachtree Street and Cain St. (now Andrew Young Intl. Blvd.) in Atlanta from 1924-1974. The architect was G. Lloyd Preacher.
It was named after Henry Grady, Georgia’s most celebrated orator. It was built on the site of the third Georgia Governor’s Mansion, previously the mansion of John H. James. After the Grady was demolished, the Westin Peachtree Plaza was built on the site.
We certainly don’t dress like this now…hats and gloves to work…
Salesgirls leaving work, Atlanta, Georgia May 1939
Domestic servants waiting for streetcar on way to work early in the morning. Mitchell Street, Atlanta, Georgia
Try a trial Membership by clicking the link below. Join Amazon Prime – Watch Over 40,000 Movies & TV Shows Anytime – Start Free Trial Now
You can now give a gift of Amazon Prime = click this link to learn how – Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime