SOME CHRISTMAS TREE FACTS
- During the years from 1887 to 1933, a fishing schooner called the ‘Christmas Ship’ used to sell spruce trees from Michigan to Chicagoans.
- Evergreen trees were used to celebrate the onset of winter, even before the birth of Christ.
- Christmas tree was decorated for the first time in Riga (Latvia), in the year 1510.
- In 1963, the National Christmas Tree was not lighted until December 22nd, because the national 30-day period of mourning following the assassination of President Kennedy stretched on till that day.
- In the year 1979, only the top of the National Christmas Tree was lighted in the US, in the honor of the American hostages in Iran.
- Large stores started putting up illuminated Christmas trees in the year 1900 only.
- Mark Carr of New York started first Christmas tree retail lot in the United States, in 1851.
- National Christmas Tree Association gives a Christmas tree to the President and first family of US every year.
- National Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony on the White House was started by President Coolidge in 1923.
- Scotch pine, Douglas fir, Noble fir, Fraser fir, Virginia pine, Balsam fir and White pine are the most popular Christmas trees.
- Teddy Roosevelt had banned the Christmas tree from the White House because of environmental reasons.
- The commercial sale of Christmas trees started in the United States around the year 1850.
- The first Christmas tree was placed in the White House in 1856, by the 14th President of the United States, Franklin Pierce.
- The tradition of an official Chicago Christmas tree dates back to 1913, when the first official tree was lit by Mayor Carter H. Harrison in Grant Park.
- The tradition of using small candles to light a Christmas tree dates back to the mid-17th century.
- There are more than 21,000 growers of Christmas tree and more than 12,000 cut-your-own-tree farms in the US.
Try a trial Membership by clicking the link below. Join Amazon Prime – Watch Over 40,000 Movies & TV Shows Anytime – Start Free Trial Now
Do you have some last minute shopping? You can give a gift of Amazon Prime = click this link to learn how – Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime